People are mostly driven by their family, organizations they work for, responsibilities they have, friends and money they need with respect to their careers. These factors and dependence on them makes it very difficult for a person to make the right choice for their own career or in terms of fulfilling their own dreams. Each and every person is intrinsically driven or motivated by thoughts of their own.
Decisions have to be right keeping in mind the impact it can have on your own life and the lives of other associated with you. But it does not also mean taking decisions without any consideration for your own self. Point here is very simple, you take right decisions, keeping larger or longer term impact in mind which takes you closer to “your own defined success”. I would like to mention that earning a lot of MONEY cannot be defined success criteria for anyone as it will never be enough. Success has to be defined in terms of self-satisfaction you can achieve by doing something. Do not drag yourself into doing something you would not like to do for a long term. You can do your best when you are happy with what you are doing. Sense of achievement comes in when you do what you want to do and not what you have to do.
Try and get to the place where you like to be and do something that you enjoy doing. Success has to be defined in the way it has been achieved and not just by the end result of it. As Bhagavad Gita says “Work should be the goal and not the result of it”. If you attach just the outcome of the work to something, you start focusing too much on the results of it. And when you focus too much on the results you would be tempted to use any means to achieve that result.
What to do list can be very long but some of the things which an individual can do will certainly help him or her achieve desired goals and success. It is all about controlling yourself in the first place. If you can have better control over yourself you can achieve what you desire to:
· Be clear about what you want to do. This may not be the easiest thing to do for an individual. But try removing all dependencies and see what you would have really done if not for all the compulsions around you. Assess yourself fairly, you cannot do everything. Figure out the work or things you are passionate about.
· Keep improving yourself as an individual mentally, emotionally and socially. Try and change yourself and not the people around you. Remember you cannot improve yourself by trying to change others whom you do not control.
· You live in a social environment and have social responsibility to be a responsible human being. Ensure that your actions or thoughts do not hurt others. If you are good the whole world will look to be a better place to you.
· Do not expect a lot from other personally or professionally. Limit your needs for materialistic pleasures. Once basic needs are met it is all about our own greed. Be content with you needs, but work hard for the fact that you enjoy the work.
· Do not try and change the world with your small charities. World was there before you and would continue to exists after you have left. Instead of doing small charity and satisfying yourself with that, limit your consumption of available resources to actually free up the resources.
· Let people win small arguments, you do not lose yourself in the small arguments like this. If you detach yourself and come out of the scene as an observer you will not find it worthwhile to indulge in such battles or arguments. Proving yourself right and other wrong should not be your goal in an argument. This is where emotional maturity comes in.
· Earn love and respect from people around you be in office or at home. Respect has to be earned for the person you are and not for the position or seniority you hold. People around you will make you successful. Again money and position cannot be your success criteria.
· Concentrate on knowledge, learning, history and traditions. Knowledge mentioned here is not about reading books or gobbling up school/college books, it is more about “Jnana or Gyan” which is cognitive in nature. It is more about understanding yourself and your surroundings and creating a balance in your own life. Learn the lessons of life from your own experience and from the elders around you.
· Understanding of history is very important for your own confidence and association to your social roots. History of your nation, state, community, culture and family should be understood and learned by beach person. This provides the learning ground and gives you a sense of belongingness and pride in your own roots. Be ready to drop what is not applicable in the current times, pick only the pearls of wisdom.
· Do not discard tradition on the face of it. First try and understand why a particular tradition is being followed and what could be the possible logic behind it. Once you understand the logic you can associate with it or stand against it. If you have the courage stand against a tradition which is unfair or unjust, if not at least do not follow it if it is not good for the society at large, your family or for your own self?
Be an entrepreneur in life which essentially means whatever you do you do it as if it is your own. If you do not get this feeling when doing some work, better quit and find something else.